Residents undergoing training at the University of Toronto's Obstetrics & Gynaecology program, as well as residents from outside of our Department, University, or Canada, may want to do an elective of their choice. Below, you will find information on elective options for non-University of Toronto Obstetrics & Gynaecology residents, contacts for electives specialty areas, and information on rural electives.
Electives for University of Toronto Obstetrics & Gynaecology Residents
Residents enrolled in the University of Toronto's Obstetrics & Gynaecology program in their post-graduate years 2-5 have a 3-month elective period. This time can be spent anywhere, pending the Program Director's approval. To obtain approval, please arrange your elective with a preceptor and email the Program Director with elective details.
Residents from outside of our Department, University of Toronto, or Canada can apply for an elective with the Department of Obstetrics & Gynaecology. For general information on elective training, please refer to the Postgraduate Medical Education (PGME) website.
Elective registration for Canadian citizens or Permanent residents
To register for an elective with the University of Toronto's Department of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, you must create an account on the University of Toronto's PGME website. You can begin the process here.
Please remember this is not an "elective-request" system. It is assumed that you have already made arrangements with the preceptor and Program Directors for the elective. This on-line elective system is designed to formalize approvals and input documentation required to ensure formal registration in the University of Toronto PGME registration and evaluation system.
- Eligibility: If you are registered in a training program outside of Canada, the language of patient care must be English or French (as required by the CPSO policy), and you must have completed a minimum of 2 years of training
- Salary: The elective applicant’s home university must continue to pay the applicant’s salary during the elective. International applicants must also state the amount of home-clinical site annual salary and provide official evidence of this salary.
- Approvals: All electives require the approval of the prospective elective supervisor, the Department of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, and the Faculty of Medicine Postgraduate Medical Education Office. It is the elective applicant’s responsibility to obtain all university, licensure and immigration approvals prior to arriving at the supervisor’s office for training. Any elective trainee without prior approvals will not be allowed to start the elective.
- Registration: The elective trainee must register with the University Postgraduate Office, the CPSO, and the hospital Medical Education Office prior to starting the elective.
- Incomplete and non-electronic applications will NOT be processed.
- Elective Supervisors should ensure that an additional learner can be accommodated.
You can find more details on the Faculty of Medicine website.
- requests the elective with an elective supervisor, and, if accepted, forwards details required in Section A and documents required in Section B of the Elective Application Form, to elective supervisor.
- allows for adequate time for processing: 1–3 months for Canadian applicants or 4–6 months for foreign national applicants
2. Elective Supervisor:
- completes Section A of the Elective Application Form
- forwards “Elective Application” and all required documentation (Section B, C), as a complete package, electronically to the Program Director’s office via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Program Director (Department of Obstetrics & Gynaecology) writes the approval letter and forwards the application to the University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine's PGME Office.
4. PGME Office contacts the applicant and provides further guidance regarding CPSO, CMPA, POWER registration and other university policies, 2–4 weeks from the date when completed application package is received by the Department of Obstetrics & Gynaecology.
Please note: non-Canadian citizens must pay the Work Permit processing fee ($150.00 CND) as part of their application to our Program. Further details can be found on page 3 of the Elective Application Form.
If you are interested in doing an elective in a specialty area, you may contact their representatives directly. You can find their contact details below or click here.
|Pediatric & Adolescent Gynaecology||Hospital for Sick Children||
|Maternal-Fetal Medicine||Mount Sinai Hospital*||
Princess Margaret Hospital
Tel: (416) 946-4043
|Gynaecologic Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility||
Mount Sinai Hospital*
Tel: (416) 586-4800 x 3999
Mount Sinai Hospital*
Dr. Danny Lovatsis c/o Hanna Rofe
|Urogynaecology||Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre||Dr. Rose Kung
Tel: (416) 480-5036
|General Obstetrics & Gynaecology||Various||Caroline Sutherland
Tel: (416) 978-6830
*Mount Sinai Hospital offers a wide range of general obstetrics and gynaecology and subspeciality electives to Resident trainees. Residents are welcome to contact individual staff physicians to discuss elective training, but must contact the office of the Deputy Chief or & Head of the Academic Program in Obstetrics & Gynaecology via Ms. Sylvia Muir (email@example.com) for clearance to proceed with the application. This policy is in place to balance the needs of all trainees and to ensure an excellent experience.
If you are interested in doing an elective in the rural area, you can visit the Rural Ontario Medical Program (ROMP) website for more information. You can find a listing of rural commmunities in Ontario here.